BENEFITS OF ONION
Medicinal uses and benefits of onion are discussed here...
Onion is Beneficial in the following conditions:
• Anti allergy
• Reduce inflammation
• Slightly laxative
• High Blood Pressure
• Lowers cholesterol
• Prolong longevity
• Helps destroy worms and other parasites
• Bronchitis (inflammation of the bronchial tube)
• Neuritis (inflammation of the nerves)
• Vertigo (inflammation of nerves)
• Diuretic (increases the secretion of urine)
• Diabetes mellitus - lowers blood sugar.
• Valuable for the hair, nails of the fingers and toes, and for the eyes
• Sinus conditions - helps to drain mucus from the cavities and loosen phlegm.
• Whether fresh or cooked onions have anti platelet, adhesiveness, thus preventing thrombosis.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF ONION–
Following are the health benefits of onion –
1. It possesses expectorant properties. It dissolves phlegm and prevents its formation. It is valued as food remedy medicine for the time immemorial for cold, cough, bronchitis and influenza. A juice mixture of onion, honey and ginger in the ratio of 2:2:1 keeps one free from cold and cough (one teaspoon 3 times a day).
2. It is also good for tooth trouble. Chewing raw onion for three minutes is sufficient to kill all the germs in the mouth. Toothache is relieved by keeping a piece of onion on the affected tooth or gum.
3. It is proved to be an effective food item in preventing heart attack. As per research, it contains essential oil, allylpropyl disulphide, catechol, proto-catechuic acid, thiopropionaldehyde, thiocyanate, calcium, iron, phosphorus and vitamins which keep check on heart troubles by correcting thrombosis and reducing blood cholesterol. You should take 100 gm of onion per day.
4. It is a powerful aphrodisiac. It increases libido and strengthens the reproductive organs. Mix two tablespoons white onion juice and two tablespoons honey. Take this 3 times a day.
5. It is used in skin diseases and stimulates the circulation of blood in the mucous membrane. Warts are dissolved by rubbing with onion pieces. Roasted onion is valued as a perfect remedy from ancient times for bruises and wounds. It is also used in the form of poultices in slight dislocation of joints etc.
6. To relieve tinnitus (ringing sound in the ears) put 2 to 3 drops of its juice in the ear. When mildly hot juice is dropped in the ear, it relieves ear-ache.
7. This is a proven remedy in cholera. A paste of 30 gm of onion and seven black peppers and sugar to taste should be given in cholera. It immediately controls restlessness, thirst and vomiting.
8. Onions are good for urinary problems. For burning sensation in urine, 6 gm of onion should be boiled in half litre of water, which is then reduced further to half the quantity. After cooling, give it to the patients. Onion rubbed in water and mixed with sugar to taste is useful for relieving urine retention.
9. It is useful in bleeding piles. Method given for urine retention is also useful here. Onion rubbed with water and mixed with sugar to taste should be taken twice daily.
10. It allays several types of hysterical attacks and when rubbed into the skin it, it encourages hair growth.
11. It gets rid of freckles and soothes the pain of insect stings.
12. When applied to the skin it repels mosquitoes and it aids dissolving scar formation on wounds.
Return to HOME
Return to VEGETABLES from Benefits of Onion