Guava benefits a lot in maintaining your health. These benefits are mainly related to the vitamins, minerals and micro nutrients present in the guava. Health benefits of the guava are discussed here.
MEDICINAL USES –
The guava plants as well as its fruits are considered medicinal. Let's see how guava benefits -
1. Extracts of fruit, flowers and leaves are found active against Micrococcus pyogenes and Escherichia coli.
2. Extracts of the fruit are found to be moderately active against enteric pathogens like Salmonella and Shigella.
3. The fruit is tonic and is very nutritive, cooling and laxative.
4. The fruit is astringent in action and used against diarrhea and dysentery.
5. Full ripe fruit, if taken without crushing the seeds, removes obstinate constipation.
6. Weight Loss – As a low energy-dense fruit, guava has only few calories in a large serving size. It helps you feel full without consuming any extra calories. So you can incorporate guava in your weight loss program.
7. Digestive Health – Guava is a firer rich fruit. Fiber is a type of carbohydrate your body cannot digest and offers a number of health benefits including appetite control, alleviation of constipation. Dietary fiber is necessary for proper digestion and absorption of nutrients from food sources. One cup of guava meets more than 20 percent of your daily needs.
8. Heart Health – Guava rich in dietary fiber, also help control cholesterol levels to reduce your risk of heart disease.
9. Fluid Balance – A cup of guava provides about 688 mg of the mineral potassium, about 28 percent of the recommended daily intake. In conjunction with sodium, potassium helps regulate the fluid balance in your body. It improves the absorption of nutrients through cell membranes.
10. Control Blood Pressure – Potassium also plays a role in regulating blood pressure and preventing stroke.
11. Role of Folate – A cup of guava provides about 20 percent of the recommended daily intake (81 mcg) of folate for adults. That aids in the metabolism of proteins and carbohydrates for fuel.
12. This vitamin- folic acid, also helps your body produce red blood cells for anemia prevention and helps support brain and nervous system function.
13. Folate is particularly important for pregnant women, as its deficiency can cause birth defects in the baby.
14. Unlike most fruits, guava contains some protein and fat. Protein in the diet is necessary for growth, tissue repair and preservation of lean body mass. Fat helps you absorb fat-soluble vitamins and acts as a source of energy.
15. Guava is a good source of vitamins A. Vitamin A is a fat-soluble vitamin necessary for normal growth and development, eye health and bone strength.
16. Guava is a rich natural source of natural vitamin C. Guava benefits in the synthesis of collagen and acts as an important antioxidant.
17. Vitamin C may help boost immune system function to help your body prevent fungal, bacterial and vital infections.
18. Cancer Prevention – It is also an anti-oxidant that may help prevent formation of cancerous tumors.
19. Antioxidant – Guava also contains vitamin E, an antioxidant. It prevents damage to cells by free radicals. A free radical is debris formed from pollution, cigarette smoke and digestion. Vitamin E has a protective impact on your body, helping to remove toxins so that the body functions at its best.
20. Guava also contains small amounts of calcium and iron. Calcium is necessary for bone health and Iron assists with oxygen transport throughout your body.
We have discussed here about how guava benefits you and helps maintain your health. After knowing these medicinal uses I hope you will include guava in your diet and gets benefited.
Read more about Guava -
Nutritional Value of Guava
Return to Fruits and Vegetables from Guava Benefits
Return to HOME to get more information about health....