Lemon is rich in citric acid and contains vitamin C. It is very useful against scurvy, gastric discomfort, obesity, jaundice, eczema,etc. It also helps in prevention of caries, inflammation and pyorrhea.
Botanical Name: Citrus limon
Family Name: Rutaceae
It grows on a small thorny shrub or tree. Leaves are ovate and petioles winged. Flowers tinged red. Fruit is ovoid, yellow and thin. It is an important fruit of citrus group. Their juice have powerful antiseptic properties and are also a good source of bio-flavonoid and vitamin C.
Anti-scorbutic, appetizer, carminative, anti-flatulent, antacid, anti-diarrhea, anti-inflammatory, anti-pyorrhea, dental caries etc.
Forms of Use:
Leaves as paste, juice of fruit
It is rich in citric acid and also contains vitamin C. That’s why it has useful place in medicine. Its juice has a good keeping quality and can be preserved for a longer period.
Analysis (100 gm edible part) shows following composition:
Calcium: 70 mg
Phosphorus: 10 mg
Iron: 2.3 mg
Vitamin C: 40 mg
Caloric value: 57
1. A pale yellow volatile oil obtained from the fruit is bitter in taste, yet it is highly valued in medicine as a flavoring agent, carminative that relieves flatulence and treats gastric discomfort, and as stomachic, it improves appetite.
2. It is very useful against vitamin C deficiency, so it can be used against scurvy, a disease caused by lack of vitamin C.
3. It is highly beneficial for gums and teeth. It makes them strong and also prevents caries, inflammation and pyorrhea.
4. It also corrects throat disorders such as catarrh, choking sensation and itch. A teaspoon juice of lemon plus two teaspoons honey should be licked after regular intervals.
5. It is a very good medicine for eczema especially on the head part where hair is removed. Rub the skin part of the fruit on the affected part to get relief.
6. It also controls local bleeding. Place a few drops of lemon juice on the bleeding part to stop the bleeding.
7. Drink a glass of lukewarm water mixed with this fruit juice to get rid of obesity and jaundice.
8. To correct upset stomach, take juice of one fruit in a glass of water and a pinch of salt to it.
9. A sufficient intake of this juice prevents the deposit of uric acid in the tissues and so reduces the possibility of an attack of gout.
10. It is anti-influenza fruit. So for bad cold, drink juice of this fruit in a glass of lukewarm water with one teaspoon honey. Repeat it 2-3 times.
11. Enlargement of spleen can be handled effectively with this juice. Juice of two fruits in the morning and evening with a pinch of salt is sufficient for relief.
12. Its juice is also acts as anti-cholesterol and makes arteries clean, healthy and free from depositing cholesterol. It is regarded as a valuable food medicine in high blood pressure, arteriosclerosis, circulatory disorders and heart weakness.
13. It is also useful in cholera as it has wonderful anti cholera properties. Juice can kill cholera bacilli within a very short time. It is also a very effective dependable food item against cholera during epidemic. Take lemon daily with food to keep cholera at bay.
14. Foot and corn can be soothed with the help of this juice. Rubbing of the foot in the warm water containing this fruit juice provides soothing as well as refreshing feeling and opens pores of feet and induces sleep due to its relaxing action on the foot nerves.
15. As a beauty aid, lemon is regarded as youth restorative and gives good look to our face. Take this juice; add sugar and borax in equal amount. Mix them to make a paste. Rub it on the face to remove pimples and black spots.
Fruits and Vegetables
Return to HOME from Lemon