Pineapple contains bromelain, an enzyme which aids digestion. Its juice is very refreshing and cooling. It tones up body systems.It also acts as astringent,abortifacient, anti-helminthic & diuretic.
Botanical Name: Ananas Comosus
Family Name: Bromeliaceae
This is a small genus of five species, native to tropical America. A. comosus, the polymorphic species, is cultivated widely in tropical countries for its succulent fruit.
The pineapple plant is perennial, erect herb, with a short stem bearing a rosette of leaves 2-3 feet long, with prickly margins and spiny tips. The fruit has a rough surface and a crown of small leaves, has succulent flesh of yellow to light orange color.
Pineapple is indigenous to Brazil. Hawaii and Malaya are the largest pineapple producing countries.
The fruit matures quickly and possesses good taste and flavor. Its average weight is 1.5 – 2 kg.
Although pineapple can be grown under a variety of conditions, it thrives best in places having a mild, humid tropical climate. It flourishes best in places where the annual rainfall is about 50 inches, evenly distributed throughout the year.
Ripe, unripe fruits and leaves
Astringent, digestive, abortifacient, anthelminthic, purgative, cooling, diuretic.
Forms of use:
Products or Preservation:
After harvesting, the fruit is carefully graded according to size and maturity. Then these fruits were packed in boxes or crates for transport. Mature green fruits keep well for about a month at room temperature. A large part of the crop is canned. The pineapple juice from the trimmings, after treatment with lime, is used for the canning syrup. In some cases, however, the appearance of the canned fruit suffers slightly on account of the removal of the deep set eyes and the fibrous nature of the flesh. The trimmings can be converted into the jam, or syrup of good taste and flavor. The syrup can be blended with other fruit juices to produce fruit beverages.
Findings of fruit analysis are as follows:
Edible fruit portion: 65.7%
It is found that juice contains 4.3% of total sugar. However sugar content of juice varies from 8- 15%, while the acid content from 0.3- 0.9%.
Further analysis gives the following composition (per 100 gm):
Calcium: 0.02 mg
Phosphorus: 0.02 mg
Niacin: 0.1 mg
Iron: 10 mg
Vitamin A: 60I.U.
Vitamin C: 63 mg
Calories per K cal: 46
1. Fresh juice contains brome-lain , an enzyme which aids digestion. This is destroyed on heating to 65 degree Celsius and above.
2. This juice is found to be very refreshing and cooling. It tones up body systems.
3. It is also anti-helminthic in nature.
4. Juice of unripe fruit acts as violent purgative.
5. It is also an abortifacient.
6. To get rid of indigestion, sprinkle black pepper and salt over small fruit pieces and take 3-4 times a day.
7. To get rid of swelling over the body, take one full ripe fruit daily for 15 days.
8. To get rid of kidney stones , drink this fruit juice for the period of 15 days to a month.
9. Fresh juice is diuretic and helps in digestion of albuminous substances.
10. Fruit juice is given to soothe the gastric irritability in fever and in jaundice.
11. Juice of unripe fruit shows promising anti fertility property.
Fruits and Vegetables
Return to HOME from Pineapple