BENEFITS OF CABBAGE
Medicinal uses and benefits of cabbage have been discussed here. This is a rich source of vitamin C, fiber, iron, calcium, potassium.
The odor that it emits comes from it’s the sulfur content which helps the body to resist bacteria and protects the protoplasm of the cells. It is said to aid in producing glossy hair.
HEALTH BENEFITS –
Health benefits of cabbage are discussed here -
1. It possesses valuable properties because of sulfur, chlorine and iodine contents. The combination of sulfur and chlorine causes a cleaning of the mucus membranes of the stomach and the intestinal tract. But this only applies when cabbage or its juice is taken raw and that too without salt.
2. Avoid excess intake of this vegetable or its juice. Normal use is recommended as its excessive consumption may cause thyroid disease called goiter.
3. Consumption of this vegetable or its juice treats infections, ulcers and other disorders of the digestive system.
4. It clears constipation as it is full of roughage i.e., indigestible material which is necessary to activate intestine for proper action of the bowels. A meal of raw cabbage is a remedy for obstinate constipation.
5. In stomach ulcers or duodenal ulcers, drink raw vegetable juice for miraculous results. Three decades ago, this juice was accepted as ulcer healer. This juice contains the anti-ulcer factor, vitamin U. This vitamin is destroyed by cooking. Recommended juice doses are 80 to 180 gm juice three times daily after meals or breakfast. To make this juice more palatable, other juices of tomato or pineapple or citrus fruit juice may be added. You can eat it raw like salad 4 to 5 times daily.
6. It is also used in skin disorders. Cabbage leaves are used in the form of compresses in healing ulcers, infected sores, blisters and skin eruptions, including psoriasis. They are also valuable in burns and carbuncles.
7. It arrests premature aging. Research has shown that cabbage contains several elements and factors which increase the immunity of the human body and prevent rapid aging. It also contains vitamin P and C which give strength to the blood vessels and keep infections at bay.
8. Benefits of cabbage extends to elderly persons also. Cabbage is good for them as it clears constipation, checks piles and obesity (caloric value is only 27 kilo calories).
9. In gout, apply the paste of cabbage leaves over the body parts where swelling is present. It helps in relieving the swelling.
10. Leaf juice or vegetable prepared from it, if taken regularly, is proved to be cancer preventive.
The sulfur and amino acid histidine present in the leaf check the growth of tumors and keep body cells normal.
11. Cabbage contains glucosinolates, which may help to prevent cancer.
Read more about -
Cabbage Nutritional Value
Many studies are being conducted on the anthocyanins in cabbage to detect its protective nature. Sulforaphane may increase the production of antioxidants and enzymes in the body that detoxify. This may help eliminate carcinogenic compounds. We hope that nutritional studies will continue in future to find out that it will cure us of any current or future illnesses.
We should continue to eat cabbage for its proven nutritional benefit.
Return to HOME
Return to VEGETABLES from Benefits of cabbage